Friday, March 20, 2009

Flashback Friday: Hand Abstracts

This one goes waaayyyy back. I think it was my first personal project with artificial lighting. My mother gave me my first camera (a compact digital: Canon A80) for Christmas 2003. These were taken in November 2004. It was a great camera for its time. The macro mode was outstanding for a compact. For this project, I used a 90-watt lightbulb inside of a common desk lamp in an otherwise black room. I used a tripod to steady the camera, but I had to hold my hand fairly steady to capture sharp images. Quite a bit of Photoshop was used during processing.

A fingerprint is capable of distinguishing between any two people, correct? A handprint must have at least 50x the information. That would mean there are at least 5 billion to the 50th power variations of handprints, right? If 1 billion to the 50th power = a '1' with 450 zeros after it, then 5 billion to the 50th power is quite the number. Any mathematicians here who can help out???

(click images to see larger)




No comments: